Sore throat is a condition leading to discomfort, irritation, or itchiness of the throat. It may result in difficulty while swallowing food items or liquids. Sore throat is generally caused by inflammation of the throat, although it could also be the result of trauma, tumors, or some infections. Primarily throat pain is the symptom of sore throat; other symptoms include white patches on the tonsils, dry throat, and swollen glands in the neck.
Children, smokers, allergies, and people with a weak immune system have a higher risk of having a sore throat. It is a communicable infection and may spread through cough or sneeze. Sore throat is not some kind of serious illness but one cannot certainly ignore this. Some home remedies, as well as some medicinal approaches to cure this illness, are discussed below-
How to get rid of sore throat with the help of natural and home remedies?
- Licorice root
The best method to treat a sore throat is by taking a lot of fluids. Make gargling solution by adding licorice root in water. It is one of the best as well as the oldest home remedies for a sore throat but is certainly the most efficient. The mucous membranes get swollen and inflamed during the sore throat, salt draws water from the mucous membrane which helps in reducing the swelling and thus providing some relief. But, the preggies and breastfeeding females must stay away from this remedy.
- Mustard plaster
This home remedy is of use particularly when you have a deep cough and the soreness has extended to your chest. The plaster is known to provide warmth to the affected area. To make a mustard plaster one must follow the following easy steps-
- Mix 1 tablespoon of flour with half teaspoon of mustard seed powder add an ample amount of water so as to make a thick paste.
- Now take a paper towel on which the mixture is spread.
- Now take two neat pieces of cloth and sandwich the paper towel between them.
- Now place the plaster on the affected area but make sure the mixture actually does not touch your skin.
- Now leave the plaster in its place for 15 minutes or until the area becomes warm.
How to get rid of a sore throat fast? You can also consider pharmaceutical treatments as they provide fast relief –
- Hydrogen peroxide rinse
It is a mild antiseptic and thus can cure a sore throat.
- Dilute a capful of hydrogen peroxide in a cup of water.
- Drink the mixture and swish it around and make it hit the back of your throat.
- Now spit the mixture out.
- Pain relief medicines
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen can be very helpful in relieving throat pain.
You can follow any of the above remedies in order to cure sore throats. As discussed earlier, sore throat is not a serious kind of illness but if it continues for more than two or three days one must consult a doctor.